Followers

Wednesday, August 8, 2012

I Survived!!

So today was THE day - the first day of school! My first ever day of school as...yelp...the teacher! Let's just say I was definitely panicking on the way there (luckily Evan was driving) and up until I had to go pick up my kiddos. And that panic turned to frazzle as I attempted failed tried served breakfast to my firsties in the classroom. Of course it was cereal and of course one of my students accidentally knocked his over and of course our janitor is super busy and hadn't come by to clean the carpet yet. So there is nasty dried up milk in my carpet. Yuck.

Then we raced over to music class. Oh music... my saving grace. It gave me 45 joyful minutes collect my thoughts and revisit my lesson plans and make sure I have everything I need. After that time zipped by, the kiddos and I returned to our classroom to learn about procedures up the wazoo. So necessary yet so uninspiring. We covered classroom rules, how to get to the carpet, how to sit and act on the carpet, how to clean up table spots, how to get supplies, how to ask to go to the bathroom, how to walk in line, how to do a fire drill (because of course we had one today...), and how to move through the cafeteria. Lots and lots of procedures. And tomorrow, there is a lot of review on my plan since the kiddos got a lot shoved at them for one day. 

We ended the day with a writing bit on their first day of first grade. They got to draw and write about something that happened today. They are all hanging up on my student work clothesline so it's not so empty and bare. 

And that was it. Then they went home. The whole leaving school process caused me to get a bit frazzled since I took forever explaining their take home folders and figuring out how everyone got home (which I still messed up on since I sent one of the kiddos to the wrong bus; luckily it was caught before anything major happened. Tomorrow I'm walking with him to the right bus).

I could finally breathe again. I had done it; I had survived my first day of school of my first year teaching. One day down; 179 more to go :)




6 comments:

  1. Yay, You!! While hectic, it sounded like it went well! From here on out it gets easier! Really! Maybe not "easy" (I never think of it as easy) but easiER, as in you get more comfortable. And OF COURSE things like spilt milk (giggles to self about saying, right?) and stuff happened TODAY. Isn't that the way it always goes? Have a great 2nd day...soon it's the weekend and you'll be able to breathe :)

    ~ Mizz J
    Apple Blossoms

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on your first official day! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats!!!! It gets better. Each day is a little bit easier and you get use to the routine. Remember to have fun and have a great day.

    Heather
    I’m having a giveaway! I’d love for you to enter:)
    The Busy Busy Hive

    ReplyDelete
  4. Woo-hoo! Congrats (how exhausted are you:) It gets better and you will find your grove. Our biggest advice is procedures, procedures, procedures. Do everything again and again and just when you think they've got it-do it once more! Spend time teaching routines now and it will pay off tremendously.
    Also, remember they don't know any different so whatever you are doing is the best thing on the planet in their eyes! Keep us posted on your adventure! Now go get some sleep!

    ~Christy & Tammy
    Fluttering Through First Grade

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations on your very first first-day! Sounds like you were ready to do and everything went pretty smoothly...if it makes you feel any better, I taught 5th graders last year and had the exact same milk problem..EW! Hope your second day is a success too!

    Nichole
    The Craft of Teaching

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats on your first day done! I think it gets easier after the first week, because you can settle into a routine and you're teaching more of the 'real' stuff ;) so glad it went well, though!

    Jenny

    ReplyDelete